Subscribe to The World of Yaxlich


Shaggy Blog Stories
: a collection of amusing tales from the UK blogosphere.

Powered by Blogger

Yaxlich powered by 

Coffee

Cinderella

Add this blog to my Technorati 

Favorites!

Bestest Blog of All Time

Surf random blogs...powered by BestestBlog.com

British Blog Directory.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

ELO

Yaxlich has got iTunes running in the background. The song that is playing at the moment is "Don't Bring Me Down" by ELO. It was the first record he ever purchased. It brings back a lot of memories.

He remembers the excitement of rushing off to the local Woolworths every Friday with his pocket money in his hand and spending hours browsing through all of the records in the bargain bucket. He couldn't afford to buy new records - records that were in the Hit Parade as it was known then - but there was still a fantastic selection of old vinyl 45's to be had for a young Yaxlich who was just starting to love music as much as he loved his books.

He can't remember why Don't Bring Me Down was his first purchase. Maybe it was because it was 1979 and most of ELOs covers featured a really cool spaceship and, like every young boy at the time, Yaxlich was obsessed with Star Wars. Whatever the reason, Yaxlich has remained an ELO fan to this day and still loves listening to old ELO albums.

He would like to know what the first record his readers purchased and why.

Comments on "ELO"

 

Blogger y.Wendy.y said ... (10:53 pm) : 

My first record was called Springbok Hit Parade 34...(don't ask!)

It was 1978.

And I bought it because my older brother wanted it and didn't have enough money so he twisted my arm (literally) until I agreed to go halves with him. So I was a half-owner but had to ask permission to listen to it.

 

Blogger Yaxlich said ... (10:59 pm) : 

Springbok Hit Parade 34? Yaxlich hates to think what the previous 33 albums were like...

Yaxlich has the original "Now That's What I Call Music" LP knocking around somewhere. He is sure this must be worth money...

 

Blogger y.Wendy.y said ... (11:40 pm) : 

Yes - to the old folks home down the road. Maybe the Salvation Army?

 

Blogger Yaxlich said ... (11:47 pm) : 

Yaxlich would pay good money for "The Salvation Army Does...Iron Maiden". What an album that would be...

 

Blogger crisiswhatcrisis said ... (9:36 am) : 

Just tried to leave this comment and Blogger denied me. Bugger.

I like this game, because my first was "Black Betty" by Ram Jam. I am proud of this. It was in the bargain bucket at Woolies having dropped out of the chart in 1978. Cool song.

The effect is ruined, however, by my second, which was "Le Freak" by Chic.

*sigh*

 

Blogger Yaxlich said ... (11:04 am) : 

Yaxlich also picked up Black Betty from the bargain bucket in Woolies. Sadly she'd fallen in and nobody else would help her out.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:49 pm) : 

What a shocker... Yaxlich's comment box is right up there on the very loooong list of places I least expected to ever read the words "Springbok Hit Parade."

Even more bizarre and perhaps even slightly disturbing - Wendz - is that I feel like I know you now.

Re my first record:

Seeing as "making a spectacular fool of myself in comment boxes all over the world" seems to be my *thing*, I'll tell the truth.

Michael Jackson, Dangerous.

And I loved it. Still do.

 

Blogger Yaxlich said ... (1:53 pm) : 

What's even more bizarre is that Yaxlich was just reading Hennie's blog when the comment above was made.

Spooky.

 

Blogger Morticia said ... (4:52 pm) : 

Tish's Mum bought Tish and her older sister (not called Tish) a Solid Gold Hits LP. Tish thinks it was about Volume 3. Tish's Mum also bought the Best of Sweet and Slade. Tish likes Slade, especially that cute little front man and especially their song "My Oh My".

 

Blogger Yaxlich said ... (7:21 pm) : 

Yaxlich is pleased to hear that it was Hennie who got his hair. He's often wondered whether or not it went to a good cause. You bring the hair into the world, it leaves and you just pray that you taught it well in the ways of the world.

Is Tish referring to Noddy Holder? Yaxlich doesn't recall Noddy ever being referred to as cute before.

 

Blogger Rob said ... (12:20 am) : 

The first record I owned was a present: "West Meets East" with Yehudi Menuhin and Ravi Shankar. The first one I paid money for, I think, was the Stern/Rose/Istomin trio playing the Schubert B flat piano trio. The funny thing about that was, I'd never heard the oiece before, so it could have been crap. The other funny thing is, it wasn't. The first non-classical record I bought was "Looking Back" by John Mayall, which was a retrospective of the first decade or so of the Bluesbreakers.

I liked ELO too (and still do), though that was much later.

 

Blogger Yaxlich said ... (1:01 am) : 

Strangely enough John Mayall was on Yaxlich's iTunes earlier tonight. So was ELO. Yehudi Menuhin and Ravi Shankar, however, were not.

Current playing: Love The One Your With by Will Young.

 

Blogger Morticia said ... (11:50 am) : 

Tish wonders how anyone could miss the inate cuteness of some called Noddy. Bigears, now that's a different story.

 

Blogger CJ said ... (12:42 pm) : 

Found you through petite anglaise. FIrst album Heart- Dreamboat Annie.
I was on a high school band trip to the big city of Vancouver, B.C. A group of us went to a record store. They were all so excited and I was clueless about any of the records so I grabbed this one off the endshelf just to be like everyone else buying an album. Lucky chance because it turned out to be a really good album.

 

Blogger Yaxlich said ... (1:10 pm) : 

Yaxlich says a big hello to CJ and he hopes she returns with more of her inspired purchasing stories. If it had been Yaxlich he would probably have ended up with a copy of "The Wombles Greatest Hits".

Yaxlich is ignoring Tish. Noddy Holder cute? Tssk.

 

Blogger Andrew MishMash said ... (8:32 pm) : 

Hi

First single Crazy Horses by the Osmonds.

First LP Jailbreak by Thin Lizzy

First CD New York by Lou Reed

being a 41 year old music fan I still cant bring myself to buy tunes as "information only", so I have never downloaded anything.

drew

 

Blogger Morticia said ... (9:54 pm) : 

Tish won't remind Yaxlich of her advanced years and point out that 30 years ago NODDY WAS CUTE.

 

Blogger Yaxlich said ... (10:32 pm) : 

Yaxlich says hello to Drew who might become Yaxlich's best friend because he runs a book shop. Yaxlich will be rushing off to MishMash as soon as he has some money.

Yaxlich thinks that he admitted this on little.red.boat but his first concert was The Osmonds at Wembley Arena in 1974 and he distinctly remembers them playing Crazy Horses. Even now he is doing his bestest Osmonds impression.

Crazy Horses....weiiiiigh....weiiiigh....Crazy Horses....

Oh how he wishes he had a video camera to capture the moment.

But then again, perhaps not.

Tish - pffft

 

Blogger Mimi Lenox said ... (2:45 am) : 

Believe it or not it was Barbra Streisand Live in Central Park albumn. I thought it was magical. Still do.

 

Blogger Lizza said ... (10:49 am) : 

It was a Beatles album that I first bought. I don't remember if it was Help or Rubber Soul. I still love their music.

 

Blogger Yaxlich said ... (12:59 pm) : 

Yaxlich didn't realise that Barbara Streisand played at Central Perk. He assumes it was before Phoebe got her resident spot there.

Yaxlich is probably going to sound a bit odd here but that's nothing new. He has never really got into the Beatles.

 

post a comment